Bruce J. Robinson
Playwright Home Bio Stage Film and TV Blog Contact Screenwriter
BRUCE'S BLOG
 

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to my site

Under the magnificent guidance of the infinitely patient Dave Wooldridge (unpaid ad), I've finally managed to put together this site. WELCOME!

Naturally, part of my objective is commercial. I need more productions of my work. Fortunately; when my things get appropriate attention, they progress. To get that notice in an area in which there are infinite little airplanes trying to land on a razor-thin runway demands effort.

I also intend to use this as a place to record my experiences, thoughts, and feelings (though the hardest felt of these I need to reserve for my plays). I'll talk about some of the theatre that we see (and by "we," I include beloved wife Donna).

If my dream comes true, this blog could serve as a forum for reasonable people to exchange ideas on theatre. It could serve as a meeting place for those who battle to create thrilling and relevant art.

And speaking of thrilling, we saw a screening of MAMA MIA! Let me admit that I'm not an ABBA fan. In fact, ABBA is one of the groups that makes me embarrassed at my rampant Caucasianism.

MAMA MIA! = oy vey. It was Scandinavian Bollywood. And the shockingly handsome Pierce Brosnan (never more than servicable) has an atrocious voice. In terms of Meryl Streep, she's game. But the voice was not very good. I saw her years ago on BDWY in HAPPY END (famous for Christopher Lloyd playing the lead for many weeks while wearing a cast on his leg) and thought her voice was fine. Here, not so much.

Carolee Carmello (who you can hear on this site under BEYOND THE SEA) is playing the role on BDWY. Listen to her singing here compared to Meryl's, and the difference is patent. Moreover, I'm not a huge Meryl Streep fan. I think she burns with an onanistic intensity - and (much like Kobe Bryant) doesn't make the other players around look good. Shoot me. I know the infinitely more-talented playwright Tony Kushner calls her "Streep-god." Taste is a beautiful thing, no?

At the screening, ran into Miles Chapin (excellent actor I've known for years) and Ted Chapin (head of Rodgers & Hammerstein and the League, I think). Miles invoked Bette Midler's quip when asked her reaction to LOST HORIZONS: "I never miss a Liv Ullman musical."

My first blog. Whew! That didn't hurt. In fact, I'm moderately encouraged. Look forward to the days and words to come. If I get bolder, I'll probably share what I look for when I choose a topic and what elements I try to include.

It's a hot day. New York in the summer is great. Everyone else is in the Hamptons. This leaves this remarkable city for the stalwart and the poor. Stay cool, all.
 

Post a Comment  -

0 Comments:

Previous Posts

 
News Archives

Subscribe to Bruce's FREE Email News Email  or  RSS News Feed RSS

All content copyright © 2008 Bruce J. Robinson. All rights reserved.